Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Other Side of the Story

Being able to see the Island from multiple perspectives is truly and eye opening, jaw dropping adventure. There's the part of the island that the scientists see. The part where we go out and count Murre eggs, wonder where the eggs disappear to, and monitor the seal populations, and stuff like that. Then there's the locals perspective. What everyone does for fun, going Murre egg collecting (I found where the eggs have been going... I ate them for breakfast yesterday...), and enjoying the recreational part of the island. Today, Sean and I went riding. We went to the golf course at Northeast. It was so pretty. He was showing me a part of the island that I hadn't been to, and it was a lot different than going out riding with the scientist. When I go with the scientist, we stop and take pictures, or look at a seal playing on the beach, or something. But riding with Sean, we stopped to look at how pretty the water was, or for him to tell a story about growing up here. It is just so amazing for me to be able to sit back and watch what goes on here, and to be able to see things from both sides of the story. The scientific, physical, historical side with the scientist, and the funny story, growing up, myths and legends side with the locals. I'm glad that I don't have just one side of things, because I think the way I look at things now would be a lot different if I only knew the facts and figures. Or if I only knew the myths, legends, and stories side if thing. Riding with Sean today, I was just kind of able to stop thinking about things for a while, which allowed me to think about the bigger things, which is why I wrote this post. I had an epiphany, and I just wanted to be able to write it down, and also to tell everyone. St. Paul Island is WAY more than what it seems.
More later.
Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for being so honest in your posts Karen.

    I'm so happy you are getting this experience! Like I told your mom this weekend, there are college students studying marine biology that don't even get this opportunity!

    I hope we can get together after you get back just to see the picture show and hear the stories that you've come away with (and have not posted on here). :) Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you can appreciate the many facets of rural life. This is an experience that will shape the rest of your life.

    Keep making good decisions and keep your brain open for new experiences and perspectives.

    ReplyDelete