Wednesday, July 14, 2010


Yesterday at Polavina Cliffs, Chelsea and I were waiting for a seal to move her flipper and a seal that had been trouble earlier started to growl. We turned around to grab the bull poles, and sitting just a few meters away from us was a giant bull. Non-territorial, but still aggressive and scary. His new name is Creeper, because of the way he just creeped up on us. Luckily we were done at that blind, so we could just sneak away and head to the next spot. At the 3rd spot, there was a seal sitting right under the blind and very close to the cliff edge. We couldn't try to scare him away, because he might have gone over the cliff and crushed some females. We weren't very concerned about the bull, because they are mean and nasty (We all think that they are just born pissed off), but we didn't want any of the females or their pups to get injured. It only took us 3 1/2 hours to do resights yesterday, and hopefully tonight will go pretty fast as well.

This morning, I went out with Terry, Bobbet, and Juan to find dead pups and placentas. At the first catwalk, we found 4 placentas and one pup. At the second catwalk, Terry got at dead pup and brought it up. Then he went back for a placenta. I wanted to see if I could sex the pup by myself, so I picked it up by the left flipper to look at it. As I picked it up, the flipper twitched and it yawned. I freaked out and put him back down and curled it up, the yelled for Terry. Apparently, Terry had just forgotten to tell me that he was still alive. I thought Terry was a little rough on him while carrying him back, but I guess that we were waiting for him to die, but still. We killed him back at the lab by stabbing his heart, and then did the necropsy. He starved. We also got 6 placentas from that catwalk.

At 5 today, I'm going to do tag resights with Chelsea and Mike, so i might go take a nap now. I fell asleep on the couch about 10 minutes after I got home yesterday, and no one woke me up, so I just slept the whole night on the couch, and didn't sleep very well. Maybe a nap would be good.
More later.
Peace out.


  1. Why did you have to kill the pup? What was their reasoning? :L

  2. We didn't want to have to wait and watch the pup die, so it was easier just to kill it. It was really hard to watch. I was supposed to be going to the seal harvest tomorrow, but now I don't think they need me anymore. I kind of wanted to go and experience just one harvest, but I'm also kind of glad that I don't have to face that just yet. I guess I'll suck it up and go next week.