Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lusta

"You're having fermented seal flipper for lunch at Kooka's today," is what I heard when I came downstairs this morning. (Kooka is Aleut for Grandmother. Yaya is Aleut for Uncle.) I thought that Mrs. Kushin was teasing at first but she just kind of looked at me and nodded, so John, Ashley, Henry, and I walked up to Kooka's house to eat Lusta (fermented, salted seal flippers). It was surprisingly good. John warned me that it would smell really bad when we went inside, but it just smelled like a lot of salt. And let me tell you, it was the saltiest thing I have ever eaten!! (except for maybe Mom's cream dried beef!!) I also had some seal meat. That was realllyyy good. It tasted like chicken, except richer, and it was almost black. I also tried a piece of Yaya Old Man's seal heart. That was better than I expected it to be. I was really surprised that I liked it.
More later
Peace out

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting the salt factor into a perspective I could understand... rotten kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it was what it reminded me of!

    ReplyDelete